OUR HISTORY

In 1923 a young Portuguese evangelist came to Atwater and rented a hall and had revival meetings. It is reported that a lot of the people from the Catholic Church attended and many of them were saved and some were filled with the Holy Spirit. When the meetings were over, there were thirty-eight people that had been saved. The evangelist's name was Manuel Sequeira.

A Brother Rolensen came and held cottage prayer meetings. Many of the old records are missing, but this group of people did form a church at the comer of Fifth Street and Grove A venue. The church was called The Full Gospel Tabernacle of Atwater. Bro. Sequeira pastored this church for a number of years. In 1940 they petitioned The Assemblies of God in Springfield, Missouri to become known at The Assembly of God Church of Atwater.

The church continued to grow and prosper and in March of 1948 a revival was held with Eddie and Ruth Washington. It lasted several weeks and fifty people were saved and added to the membership rolls. It was easy to see that the small church was just not going to serve the needs. They did some building onto the church and decided that they were going to have to build a larger church.

On April 22, 1957, three acres of land on the comer of Shaffer Road and Juniper Avenue were purchased. Since that time the church has purchased two additional acres. A new church was built and moved into in the fall of 1958.

On October 16, 2005, the name of the church was officially changed from Assembly of God Church of Atwater to Liberty Fellowship. This was done to reflect the move of the Holy Spirit and the freedom that we all experience during the services. This scripture is our focus: "Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty". II Corinthians 3: 1 7. God has been good to Liberty Fellowship and we are excited about what is coming next.